In January 2021, Attorney General Cameron issued an executive order creating the Attorney General’s Search Warrant Task Force to examine the process for securing, reviewing, and executing search warrants in Kentucky. The creation of the task force fulfills the Attorney General’s promise to convene a task force to develop best practices for the effective and safe execution of search warrants in the Commonwealth.
The Search Warrant Task Force will be chaired by the Attorney General’s Office and will consist of the following members:
• Two representatives of the Kentucky Court of Justice appointed by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Kentucky
• The Chairs of the Judiciary Committees of the Kentucky House of Representatives and the Kentucky Senate
• One person appointed by the Fraternal Order of Police of Kentucky
• One person appointed by the Kentucky Sheriff’s Association
• One person appointed by the Kentucky State Police or his designee
• One person appointed by the Kentucky Commonwealth’s Attorneys’ Association
• One person appointed by the Kentucky County Attorney’s Association
• The Public Advocate or his designee
• One person appointed by the Kentucky League of Cities
• One person appointed by the Kentucky Association of Counties
• One person appointed by the Kentucky Conference of the NAACP
• The Commissioner of the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training or his designee
• Three citizens representing the Commonwealth at large appointed by the Attorney General
This coalition will meet as often as necessary to examine the search warrant processes, solicit public input, and develop recommendations. In undertaking this process, the task force will be asked to consider law enforcement’s role in advancing public safety along with the personal protections guaranteed to citizens by the Constitutions of the United States and the Commonwealth.
Meetings will be accessible to the public, consistent with current COVID-19 health guidelines. The task force is expected to conclude its work no later than December 31, 2021.
The first meeting of the task force will be set in the coming weeks.