Working to reduce child sexual abuse by encouraging education, awareness and prevention programs throughout the Commonwealth.
Child sexual abuse affects us all
Nationally, rates regarding child victims of rape or sexual assault range from 1.2 to 1.9 children per 1,000. According to statistics from Kentucky Youth Advocates' Kids Count report, there were 3,548 investigations of child sexual abuse in Kentucky in 2007. Approximately one-third of all sexual assaults reported to law enforcement involved a victim under the age of 12.
The statistics are alarming and only tell part of the story. It is estimated that only one in 10 victims of sexual abuse ever discloses the abuse. According to the American Psychological Association, child victims of abuse are at a greater risk of being perpetrators and/or adult victims.
What is the CSAEP?
The Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Prevention Board was created in 1984 by KRS 15.905 for the "coordination and exchange of information on the establishment and maintenance of prevention programs." (KRS 15.920) The Board also oversees the Child Victims Trust Fund (CVTF), a non-profit program that provides local communities with funding for child sexual abuse prevention programs and reimbursement for the portion of child sexual abuse medical exam expenses not covered by Medicaid or private insurance.
Goals of the CSAEP Board
- To promote public and professional education on the nature and scope of child sexual abuse and related issues, indicators, laws, roles and resources;
- To raise awareness that it is adults’ responsibility to provide a safe community for children;
- To reduce the incidence and impact of child sexual abuse by promoting, supporting and/or funding effective programs; and
- To establish procedures to generate and oversee the effective and efficient use of CVTF monies.
How can I help?
"I Care About Kids" license plate
KY Tax Refund Check-off
Make a private, tax-deductible donation or send a contribution to:
Child Victims Trust Fund
Office of the Attorney General
1024 Capital Center Dr., Suite 200
Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 696-5312 or (800) 372-2551