Abuse, neglect or exploitation of a patient or resident of a care facility is a crime. Report instances of abuse to the Attorney General's Patient Abuse Toll-Free Tip Line at 1-877-ABUSE TIP (1-877-228-7384).
Additionally, for Reporting Abuse (regardless of whether facility is Medicaid funded) or for Protective Services, Guardianship and Counseling contact the Cabinet for Health and Family Services Adult Protective Services hotline at 1-800-752-6200.
- Frequent unexplained injuries or complaints of pain without obvious injury
- Burns or bruises suggesting the use of instruments, cigarettes, etc.
- Passive, withdrawn and emotionless behavior
- Lack of reaction to pain
- Injuries that appear after the person has not been seen for several days
- Patient complains of physical abuse
- Injury to the genital area
- Difficulty in sitting or walking
- Fear of being alone with caretakers
- Patient reports a sexual assault
- Obvious malnutrition
- Lack of personal cleanliness
- Habitually dressed in torn or dirty clothes
- Obvious fatigue and listlessness
- Begs for food or water
- In need of medical or dental care
- Left unattended for long periods
- Bed sores
- Mismanagement of personal funds
- Lost, stolen or destroyed property